Position: Manager of Development Research
Reports to: Senior Director of Leadership Giving Program
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Location: Headquarters in Brookline, MA
Start date: July 1, 2017
Facing History and Ourselves has been recognized as one of the finest and most effective teacher development organizations worldwide for over four decades. Facing History’s unique content and methodology have helped make thousands of teachers more effective at using history to develop ethical reasoning skills, critical thinking, tolerance and empathy in their students.
Facing History’s new strategic plan calls for a significant scaling of impact over the next 5 years. The Manager, Development Research, reporting directly to Senior Director of Leadership Giving Programs, will help Facing History build a model research and analytics function. The successful candidate will have a track record of researching high value Development prospects, incorporating research and analysis into donor strategy, managing complex information sources and databases, and partnering with colleagues on business process improvements.
Facing History’s five-year strategic plan requires $150 million in financial support. The Manager of Development Research will be responsible for the creation and management of a holistic research and analytics function. Year one will focus on building model tools and resources to empower all staff to incorporate research into donor strategy, research on major individual and foundation prospects, and identifying additional databases and research tools that can support our long-term fundraising aims. Year two and onward will focus on building a team that can holistically support the increasing demand on research and analytics from fundraising staff, executive-level staff and volunteer leaders. Everything the Manager of Development Research works on will directly support the organization’s five-year fundraising aims and also serve the organization for decades to come.
· Work to produce sufficient number and quality of prospects
· Produce extensive individual and some institutional donor profiles
· Target appropriate ask amounts
· Prioritize and evaluate prospects for corporate, foundation, and government grants.
· Assist with other fundraising projects as requested
Education and Experience:
· Minimum of 3 years experience with Development research or library science
· Knowledge of fundraising information sources
· Experience with individual, corporate, and foundation donors
· Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
· Excellent computer skills with all Microsoft Office programs and CRM databases (Salesforce.com preferred)
· Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for prospect research
· Experience with budget development and monitoring
· A fun spirit and an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of teams
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, limited free parking and a friendly work environment.
Facing History proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Applications ONLY accepted online at careers.facinghistory.org. Job posted until filled.
*Older versions of the Safari browser may not be compatible with this application form.