Position: Director of Leadership Gifts, San Francisco Bay Area
Location: Oakland, CA
Category: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Senior Director of Regional Development
Facing History and Ourselves equips teachers and youth with skills that allow them to wrestle with today’s difficult issues through the lens of history. We train teachers to work closely with their students to examine complex themes like identity, discrimination and leadership. Students are challenged to make personal connections between the past and their present, and to understand the impact of choices in their daily lives. We believe that by empowering our youth, they will build a more engaged, moral and compassionate society.
To expand the work of Facing History in the San Francisco Bay Area (SFBA) office, we are seeking a Director of Leadership Gifts. This position will play an integral role in strategically building the Bay Area development effort to meet and exceed our ambitious fundraising goals. This position will work with development leadership, the SFBA Executive Director, Advisory Board members, and other staff to initiate, plan, and manage all of our fundraising efforts, including donor research and cultivation, gift solicitation, stewardship, Advisory Board activities, and fundraising events including our signature spring benefit.
S/he will be responsible for a portfolio of donors with capacity to give gifts of $10,000 and above. S/he will also work collaboratively with our development team to build our pipeline of donors at all levels to ensure a growing stream of revenue, and advance Facing History’s visibility and profile.
• Serve as primary manager for a portfolio of current and potential major donors, including individuals, corporations and foundations
• Participate as part of a local and national/international team to carry out the organization’s fundraising strategy in the SFBA region and on behalf of the work across the organization
• In coordination with the Executive Director and Development Specialist, manage the fundraising component of spring benefit dinner
• Fulfill targets on annual revenue goals and fundraising plans for the SFBA region
• Engage targeted constituencies through development and management of additional programs and activities that deepen donor engagement and revenue growth; including private individual and corporate events and Community Conversation lectures,
• Assist SFBA Executive Director with stewardship and support to the San Francisco Advisory Board and committee activity
• Act as liaison to Facing History Associates' network of young professionals
• Other duties as assigned
• BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
• 3-5 years of moves-management fundraising required. Must be able to demonstrate past successes as a major gift fundraiser.
• Knowledge and experience in key fundraising areas including annual fund, special events and stewardship is required.
• Creative, flexible and organized professional with demonstrated team-based fundraising success.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Proven successful project management and relationship-building skills.
• Creative self-starter able to work both individually and as member of consensus-seeking teams.
• Manage multiple needs and assignments in a fast-paced non-profit setting.
• Familiarity with the local non-profit and educational communities.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite; experience with Salesforce or other fundraising databases a plus.
• Genuine commitment to the mission of Facing History and Ourselves and ability to articulate the importance of the organization’s work.
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, and a friendly work environment.
Facing History proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via the link below. Job posted until filled.
*Older versions of the Safari browser may not be compatible with this application form.