Position: Business Development Strategist
Reports to: Chief Program Officer
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Location: Headquarters in Brookline, MA
Start date: TBD
Facing History and Ourselves imagines a world shaped by knowledge and compassion, not racism, antisemitism, and prejudice. In this world, every student learns how to respect others, stand up to injustice, and resist all forms of bullying and stereotyping. And students become citizens who value civility, recognize the dangers of indifference, and know that their voices matter.
This is where Facing History and Ourselves makes a difference. Facing History teaches students to make informed, ethical decisions and sparks their desire to look beyond themselves and participate in the broader world.
With a comprehensive five-year strategic plan and organizational vision in place to quadruple the number of teachers in our network from 50,000 to nearly 200,000, Facing History and Ourselves is looking for an executive-level strategist with proven business development experience in the K-12 education marketplace to create a strategic plan to 1) grow the organization’s earned income opportunities and 2) expand the educator network (number of educators implementing Facing History’s programs and services). Facing History is offering an initial 6 month engagement to develop the plan, with the option for renewal/continuation to oversee launch and execution.
This position will research and identify new market opportunities to leverage Facing History’s existing portfolio of curricular materials, professional development, and school-wide consulting for grades 6-12 and will craft a sales strategy to expand our presence in schools and districts nationwide. The final plan produced by this position will identify educational trends that are driving school, district, and educator purchasing decisions around curricular materials and professional development (including technology-based solutions); the plan will also identify key markets (new and existing), target customers (new and existing), and partnership opportunities to reach greater scale in the next five years. The final plan will include recommendations for staffing to execute on the strategy.
The successful candidate will work with the senior team and key members of the Program and Content leadership to refine the product and services offerings and approach to attract more schools, districts, and individual educators to Facing History across a ladder of engagement.
The successful candidate will possess the ability to lead a project and drive it to completion, convening and partnering with those whose input is needed across multiple departments and offices.
The Completed Plan will:
• Identify the opportunities created for Facing History by the latest trends in secondary education and teacher professional development
• Specify business development opportunities for product and service offerings, professional development, coaching and support, and whole school models.
• Use data from multiple sources to support business rationale.
• Project revenue growth (with supporting Key Performance Indicators) over the next five years.
• Articulate a plan for developing and nurturing a pipeline of prospects at scale.
• Identify needed marketing support.
• Define staff roles and timelines needed to carry out the plan.
Education and Experience
• 10+ years business development leadership experience in the K-12 educational solutions marketplace required.
• Experience writing strategic business development plans for the K-12 educational solutions marketplace required.
• 5+ years experience managing sales targets of $2+ million.
• Proven success in building relationships with school and district leaders.
• Experience selling K-12 professional development preferred.
• Experience building and leading a sales force preferred.
• Experience in account management and the ability to present solutions to meet client needs.
• Bachelors Degree required.
• Ability to assess the potential and fit of markets to Facing History
• Ability to drive projects forward while also working collaboratively to achieve shared goals.
• Strong organizational, planning, analytical, negotiation, and decision-making skills
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organization and time management skills, with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
• Excellent computer skills (including Sales force, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and MS Outlook)
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, limited free parking and a friendly work environment.
Facing History proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Applications ONLY accepted via the link below. Job posted until filled.
*Older versions of the Safari browser may not be compatible with this application form.