Position: Development Writer
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Location: Headquarters in Brookline, MA
Start date: July 1, 2017
Facing History and Ourselves has been recognized as one of the finest and most effective teacher development organizations worldwide for over four decades. Facing History’s unique content and methodology have helped make thousands of teachers more effective at using history to develop ethical reasoning skills, critical thinking, tolerance and empathy in their students.
Facing History’s new strategic plan calls for a significant scaling of impact over the next 5 years. The Development Writer, reporting directly to the Chief Development Officer, will join a world-class Development operation and build communications tools, vehicles, and systems to keep staff, donors, and volunteers inspired and connected to our programmatic progress. The successful candidate will have a track record of helping leaders and organizations more effectively communicate with constituents, an understanding how Development communication can drive donor retention, making data-driven decisions, and partnering with cross-functional colleagues and external volunteers to bring complex systems to life.
Facing History’s five-year strategic plan requires $150 million in financial support. The Development Writer will be responsible for the creation and management of communication plans to various segments of our donor community, developing sales and communications tools for front-line fundraising staff, articulating Facing History’s impact in clear, concise ways, and partnering with the Chief Development Officer to keep staff and volunteers alike inspired, uplifted, and informed throughout the strategic plan. Everything the Development Writer works on will directly support the organization’s five-year fundraising aims and also serve the organization for decades to come.
Specific Duties and Accountabilities Include:
Develop and Manage all Development Communication, including:
· Quarterly research briefing
· Monthly internal newsletter
· Direct marketing
· Quarterly newsletter, “A Facing History State of Mind” to all $10K+ donors
· Correspondence to leadership donors ($1K+)
· Stewardship material to all donors, including thank you notes for various segments of our donor community, fundraising information on facinghistory.org, and blogs
· Regular profiles on corporate, individual, foundation, and educational partners
· All stewardship material, including donor thank you letters, customized communication to principal supporters,
Support the Chief Development Officer’s Communication to Staff and Volunteers
· Regular communication to staff and volunteers on annual and strategic plan fundraising progress
· Proposal development for principal gifts
· Reports to Development Committee and Board of Directors
· Presentations and remarks to external audiences
Develop Communications Training Programs for Development Staff
· Provide ongoing professional development for fundraising staff on communicating Facing History’s impact to prospective supporters
· Regularly evaluate the professional development needs of the organization
Education and Experience
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, limited free parking and a friendly work environment.
Facing History proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Applications ONLY accepted online at careers.facinghistory.org. Job posted until filled.
- Master’s in related field (or equivalent life/work experience) preferred with 5+ years relevant work experience
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing. Ability to inspire and persuade.
- A unique ability to make the complex simple
- An understanding of organizational systems and the ability to drive a point of view at the executive level
- Able to move nimbly across all departments and functions
- Ability to lead and grow teams, inspiring them to success
*Older versions of the Safari browser may not be compatible with this application form.