Position: Senior Development Officer
Reports to: Director of Development, New York
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: New York, NY
Start date: Immediate
Facing History and Ourselves is an international educational and professional development organization whose mission is to engage students of diverse backgrounds in an examination of racism, prejudice, and antisemitism in order to promote the development of a more humane and informed citizenry. By studying the historical development and lessons of the Holocaust and other examples of genocide, students make the essential connection between history and the moral choices they confront in their own lives. Facing History reaches an estimated two million students annually through its network of 30,000 educators around the globe, providing the community and the broader education market with timely and relevant resource materials.
Facing History’s growth plan calls for a significant increase in reach and impact in the U.S. through eight offices and online efforts; internationally through entities in the UK and Canada; and through global partnerships that deliver our pedagogy and materials on the ground and virtually. Facing History has built an extensive and diverse community of educators, advocates, and citizens who actively champion its work. The continued emphasis and tailored engagement of these audiences is critical to achieving the priorities Facing History has defined.
The Senior Development Officer, New York will work with New York leadership and staff, development leadership, and other colleagues to initiate, plan, and manage efforts in the greater New York area to realize fundraising goals, utilizing donor research and cultivation, gift solicitation, community outreach, and benefits/events. This individual, in partnership with Director of Development, NY, is responsible for all development efforts and revenue; supports advisory board activities; and works to build the pipeline of annual and capital giving donors to ensure a growing stream of revenue. The Senior Development Officer also works to advance Facing History’s visibility and profile locally in partnership with organizational leadership and the New York team.
- Participate as a member of Facing History’s development team to create and implement strategies that secure higher levels of support for Facing History and Ourselves globally
- Cultivate, solicit, and close gifts from annual and major gift prospects.
- Work with development leadership and New York leadership to establish and achieve annual revenue goals and a fundraising plan; provide regular reports on the progress of fundraising efforts.
- Serve as primary manager for a portfolio of current and potential major donors, conducting face-to-face prospect visits systematically with the aim of exceeding annual projections
- Support the New York Advisory Board in conjunction with the Director of Development, communicating Facing History’s financial model, securing their gifts, providing stewardship and support, identifying and cultivating new members, and overseeing sub-committee activities.
- Oversee New York-based fundraising events including annual benefit, corporate events, house parties, and special development projects
- Develop and implement stewardship plan for existing donors
- Network with foundation and corporate giving colleagues to determine opportunities for engagement with Facing History. Craft strategy, and implement corporate and foundation solicitations in partnership with headquarters senior team and fundraising leadership
- Interact with grant writing team on proposal writing, follow-up, and reporting to foundations and corporations
- Leverage Facing History’s stellar reputation to reach out to community organizations, in an effort to cultivate relationships and develop new partnerships for Facing History
- Supervise regional Development Staff
- Other duties as assigned
Compensation and Benefits:
- BA/BS degree, along with 8-10 years of proven experience in frontline fundraising and board engagement
- Creative, self-starting organized professional with proven ability and the motivation to achieve a new level of organizational growth and fundraising as part of an organization-wide team
- Demonstrated supervision and leadership skills
- Genuine commitment to the mission of Facing History and Ourselves and ability to articulate the importance of the organization’s work
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to influence others
- Ability to handle multiple assignments in a fast-paced non-profit setting
- Strong familiarity with local community, including non-profit and educational communities
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a 10% organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, and a friendly work environment.
Facing History proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter via the link below. Job posted until filled.
*Older versions of the Safari browser may not be compatible with this application form.