Position: Publishing Assistant
Reports to: Associate Director, Publishing and New Media
Location: Brookline, MA
Category: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Starting: January 2013
Supports Publishing and New Media group to further our efforts in producing and disseminating our print and digital publications for internal and external audiences. This position will partner closely with our Research and Development (R&D) and Communications Initiative to produce high-quality educational resources and facilitate more exposure of these materials.
Essential Skills / Qualities /Abilities:
- Work with Publishing team to maintain and implement the current in-house style guide and publishing standards
- Negotiate, secure, and manage permission licenses with 3rd party publishers; aid in developing and executing appropriate organizational protocols for securing rights and permissions
- Assist with manuscript preparation including quote verification and citation management with in-house writers for freelancers
- Assist with the management of in-house/freelance writers, designers, editors, and proofreaders throughout the production process
- Assist with marketing outreach; research, synthesize, and recommend marketing strategies and activities for entering additional markets (trade, higher Ed., non-Facing History educational markets)
- Assist with managing our inventory control procedures and fulfillment services
- Provide administrative support to Publishing group, including managing Salesforce contacts
- Research tasks to bring Facing History’s current and future publications into the digital landscape
- Provide research support to R&D
- Perform photo research
- Provide customer support for online book ordering system
- Work across all departments to insure a coordination of efforts
- Occasional help at front desk
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a 10% organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, limited free parking and a friendly work environment.
Facing History proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Applications ONLY accepted via link below.
Job posted until filled.
- BA/BS or equivalent required
- Interest in educational non-profit publishing
- Experience in the production process (i.e. working with copy editors, proofreaders, designers, and others)
- Outstanding communication skills with strategic and analytical capabilities as well as a flexible, “can-do” attitude and willingness to learn
- Ability to work individually and as a member of a team; ability to work with minimal supervision and ability to supervise others
- Creative energy, self-starting with the ability to prioritize, organize and efficiently manage multiple assignments in a busy non-profit setting
- Proactive problem-solver; able to identify and/or foresee needs or problems and plan accordingly
- Keen interest in, commitment to, and ability to articulate the mission of Facing History and Ourselves
*Older versions of the Safari browser may not be compatible with this application form.